gluten free american dinner
A bit of Louisiana at home!
Go to recipe ↓ Image S2C
Cabbage has long been one of my favorite vegetables. When I don’t know what to do, there’s usually something delicious to eat from a head of cabbage. This Cajun Sausage and Cabbage recipe combines the classic flavors of sausage and kale with an unexpected secret ingredient that elevates this dish into a meal that is sure to be in demand again and again.
To start preparing this dish you will need to start with some Andouille sausages. These distinctive sausages taste like no other, a tradition that began in France and continued in Cajun cooking in the US These smoked sausages contain wine and onion for notes not found in other pork sausages.
To this you will add your sliced cabbage and then cook them along with some bell pepper and lots of Cajun spices until the cabbage is tender. Then toss the pan with some apple cider vinegar for a touch of tartness that adds a brighter dimension to the meal.
That secret ingredient? It’s the apples! We all know that apples and pork go together perfectly, so this is a no-brainer.
To finish, serve this Cajun Cabbage and Sausage over rice or cooked potatoes like we did here. This savory and slightly sweet dinner has all the flavor you’d expect from a Cajun meal, but you don’t have to travel to Louisiana to eat it!
cajun cabbage and sausage
Preparation time 15m
Cooking time 23m
Diet: gluten free
- 1 package (12 ounces) andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup of water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Granny Smith, Gala, or McIntosh apple, thinly sliced
- 1 large shallot, cut into small pieces
- Heat the oil in a large or medium skillet over medium-high heat and add the sausage slices. Cook 2 minutes per side. Remove from pan and reserve.
- In the same pan, add the onion and water and mix vigorously to remove the color from the pan. Add salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add cabbage, chili flakes, thyme, paprika, oregano, cayenne, cumin, and onion powder. Cook until cabbage is tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and vinegar to the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Then add the butter, apple, and sausage and cook until the apple has softened, about 4 minutes. Garnish with chives and serve over rice or potatoes.
Your Review Your Overall Rating Select a rating5 Stars4 Stars3 Stars2 Stars1 Stars Rate this recipe SKM: placeholder below contentWhizzco for 12T Subscribe to 12 Tomatoes