Did you find this post useful, inspiring? Save money THIS PIN in its blog bulletin board in pinterest. 😉
This post may contain links from Amazon or other affiliates. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This simple smoked sausage casserole is the perfect comfort food. Throw everything in your slow cooker and in a few hours you’ll have a hearty side dish or full keto meal. This post is sponsored by Cabot Creamery.
I have a problem and this Keto Cheesy Smoked Sausage Casserole is the perfect solution.
Every year during this period, I get carried away creating delicious Christmas recipes. So caught up, in fact, that I forget to feed my family.
Wait, you mean they can’t live on keto Christmas cookies for a few months? Do they need real food too?
It’s worth it! Let’s put some cauliflower, chopped kielbasa, and some Cabot cheddar cheese in the slow cooker and call it dinner. This is a great idea!
Inspiration for an easy dinner
I think it’s safe to say that we can all use simpler keto recipes for dinner this holiday season. We are all running around, preparing our Thanksgiving meals and shopping for our loved ones. All while juggling work, family, and other obligations.
So a meal that practically cooks itself while you take care of other things? This is absolutely priceless.
Slow Cooker Smoked Sausage Casserole is perfect. It’s what I like to call a “dump and run” recipe. Pour everything into the slow cooker, stir and remove. This is all there is to it.
Cabot for flavor!
I don’t mind my love for Cabot Cheddar. In my opinion, it tastes like no other and I use it on everything from keto crackers to keto cheese crackers. Their cheddar cheese wins awards every year in all sorts of categories. But as anyone who has lived in the New England area knows, they are exceptional company in many ways. As a cooperative, they are member-owned and member-controlled, so farmers benefit directly from them.
In addition, they give back to communities and promote volunteer, fundraising, nonprofit, and health and wellness programs.
Is that why cheese tastes so good? I can’t say for sure, but I have my suspicions!
How to make smoked cheese sausage casserole
- Cut the cauliflower into small pieces.. I recommend less than 1 inch, which helps cook faster and more evenly.
- Check the label on the smoked sausage.. Some brands add a surprising amount of sugar to kielbasa and other smoked sausages, but they don’t really need it. Look for hot dogs with less than 2 g of carbohydrates per serving.
- Use a good spicy cheddar cheese. Did I mention I love Cabot?
- put it all together. After all ingredients are added to the slow cooker, stir to combine.
- Cook over low heat. It will only take about 3 hours for the cauliflower to soften.
- thicken the sauce. Since cauliflower releases a good amount of liquid, you can add a little glucomannan to thicken the sauce a bit. But this step is optional and it tastes delicious anyway!
- Finally add more cheddar cheese.. You can mix in all the cheddar cheese at first, but I love a delicious layer of gooey melted cheese.
Can I make it in an Instant Pot?
You can, but pressure cookers tend to force vegetables like cauliflower to release a lot of excess moisture. To keep this casserole from getting too thick, I recommend you cut the sour cream in half and be ready to add more glucomannan.
I don’t like smoked sausages, can I use something else?
Sure! Any precooked sausage would be great, as would cooked chicken. I recommend precooked for convenience and food safety, but you can always cook it yourself before making the casserole.
Can I use frozen cauliflower?
I do not recommend frozen cauliflower for this recipe. The freezing and thawing process softens the cauliflower.
I don’t like cauliflower, can I use another vegetable?
I haven’t tried this recipe with anything else, but broccoli would work well and radishes could be good. I don’t recommend something like zucchini due to its high moisture content.
How to preserve smoked chorizo casserole?
Leftovers should be refrigerated in a covered container and will last up to 5 days. I recommend gently heating them in the microwave or oven.
Smoked Ketogenic Sausage Casserole Recipe
This simple smoked sausage casserole is the perfect comfort food. Throw everything in your slow cooker and in a few hours you’ll have a hearty side dish or full keto meal.
PIN rate printing
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 3 hours 30 minutes.
Total time: 3 hours 40 minutes
Servings: 8 servings
- 24 ounces fresh cauliflower, cut into small pieces (less than an inch)
- 1 pound chopped smoked kielbasa
- 8 ounces grated Cabot Extra Sharp, divided
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter cut into small pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon glucomannan optional
- Chopped chives or parsley to decorate
Lightly grease a 4 to 6-quart slow cooker.
Add the cauliflower, kielbasa, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter, garlic, salt and pepper to the bottom. Stir to combine.
Cook over low heat for 3 hours. Stir to mix everything well. If you want to thicken the sauce at this point, set the meat and cauliflower aside and mix the glucomannan into the liquid.
Sprinkle remaining cheddar cheese on top and cover again. Cook for another 30-60 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the cauliflower is tender.
Sprinkle with chives or parsley and serve. You can serve it fresh from the slow cooker or transfer it to another serving dish, if you like.