see why this Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Plate it will become your family’s new favorite cheese spread. East Easy Homemade Mac and Cheese it’s ready from start to finish in less than 20 minutes. Say goodbye to box mix and hello to the creamiest mac and cheese recipe ever!
homemade macaroni and cheese
Growing up, I ate a fair amount of macaroni and cheese because the blue Kraft boxes were a staple in my parents’ kitchen. As parents, our children grew up with the same boxes. It was easy to make and everyone loved it. When our kids grew up, I started making homemade mac and cheese and have never looked back.
I normally make this homemade mac and cheese recipe, but it takes a little longer due to cooking. I decided to solve that time problem by making easy and creamy mac and cheese with a few different ingredients we had on hand.
Trust me when I say this will be your favorite mac and cheese recipe from now on. It’s the perfect comfort food for cold nights or a delicious side dish for potlucks or cookouts.
Macaroni and Cheese Ingredients
Three kinds of cheese, Greek yogurt, and a bechamel make the smoothest, richest cheese sauce you can imagine. Get ready to dive into a pot of cheesy goodness.
- Pasta – We usually use elbow noodles to get that traditional mac and cheese look. Feel free to use whatever type of pasta you have on hand or that you like.
- butter and flour – This is combined to create a roux which is used to thicken the liquid.
- Milk – Any type of milk will work, just remember that the higher the fat content, the creamier your mac and cheese will be.
- greek yogurt – the secret ingredient of the creamy cheese sauce. Alternatively, you can also use sour cream.
- Cheese – A combination of freshly shredded cheddar cheese, Velveeta, and Parmesan makes this mac and cheese the creamiest cheesy pasta.
- spices – Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and ground mustard
BRUCEW COUNCIL: Prepackaged grated cheese has a coating to prevent sticking. That coating can keep it from melting nicely and can add grit to the sauce. For best results, grate a block of quality cheese at home with a grater!
How to make a creamy mac and cheese plate
This creamy mac and cheese is easy to make with your favorite pasta and a homemade cheese sauce. Measure all of your ingredients ahead of time, so you’re ready to quickly drain and mix.
First step: Cook the Pasta.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions.
- Drain and reserve.
Second step: Make a Roux.
- Melt the butter in a large pot.
- Sprinkle the flour and incorporate it. Cook the mixture for one minute.
Step three: Make a cheese dip.
- Slowly whisk the milk into the roux. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes until thickened. Don’t let it boil.
- Add yogurt, cheeses and dressings and mix until melted and creamy.
Step four: Add the noodles.
- Run hot water over the cooked noodles and drain again.
- Add to cheese sauce and mix to coat.
- Let the homemade macaroni and cheese rest for a few minutes before serving.
Make it a complete meal
This homemade macaroni and cream cheese recipe can be served as a main dish for dinner or as a side dish for barbecues and picnics. It also goes well with any type of meat you like. Here are some of our favorites to serve with mac and cheese.
- pulled pork
- chicken sliders
- Grilled meatballs with honey
- Chicken – Baked, Grilled, Fried, Roasted
- cajun shrimp burger
- hot dog and hamburger
- BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- pulled pork roll
- Classic Green Bean Casserole
What can you add to homemade macaroni and cheese?
- Feel free to use your favorite cheese instead of cheddar. Chili or chipotle cheese will give it a spicy touch. The mozzarella will add more strings of cheese.
- Add bacon, chicken, ham, or any other meat you like.
- You can also add different vegetables to change it up. Peas, broccoli, peppers or tomatoes are delicious.
- Top with extra shredded cheese and Panko or Ritz cracker crumbs and cook for 20 minutes.
Can you make mac and cheese on the stovetop ahead of time?
Yes. It heats very well. You can put it in a covered dish and store it in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. Pour the pasta into a saucepan over medium-low heat and mix until creamy.
Or place it in a baking dish and cook until hot. If you are going to make baked mac and cheese, make sure to cook the pasta for one minute.
Can these creamy mac and cheese be frozen for later?
You can freeze this macaroni and cheese recipe. Pour the cooled pasta into a disposable dish, add the grated cheese and cover. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw overnight and cook until hot.
CLICK HERE TO SAVE THIS RECIPE FOR LATER!
More picnic side dishes
- 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole
- sweet potato soufflé
- coleslaw and strawberries
- Dill Stuffed Eggs
Other cheese spreads
- supreme chicken
- Cheese Sausage Pasta
- Artichoke Pasta with Chicken
- Baked Chicken Ranch Pasta
Do you like a recipe you tried from Recetas Latinas?
Please consider leaving a 5-star rating ⭐️ and/or a review in the comments section below.
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Time to cook:
see why this Creamy Macaroni and Cheese Plate it will become your family’s new favorite cheese spread. These easy homemade mac and cheese are ready from start to finish in under 20 minutes. Say goodbye to box mix and hello to the creamiest mac and cheese recipe ever!
1 pound elbow pasta
¼ cup unsalted butter
¼ cup all-purpose flour
2 ¼ cups of milk
1 cup plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
3 cups of grated cheddar cheese
8 ounces Velveeta cheese, diced
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of pepper
- Cook and drain the pasta. Set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt the butter in another large pot. Sprinkle the flour over the melted butter and mix. Cook for 1 minute.
- Beat the milk. Cook and stir for a few minutes over medium heat until thickened.
- Add the yogurt, grated cheese, Velveeta, Parmesan, seasonings, salt and pepper. Mix until melted and creamy.
- Run hot water over cooked noodles. Drain again and add to the cheese mixture.
- Let the mac and cheese rest for a few minutes before serving.
Yield: 10 Servings: 1
Amount per proportion:
Calories: 394 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 14g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 74mg Sodium: 897mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 3g Protein: 20g
Nutrition data is an estimate and is not guaranteed to be accurate. If you need special dietary advice, please consult a registered dietitian.
Did you make this recipe?
*The Creamy Stove Top Mac and Cheese post was first published on October 23, 2019. The post was updated and republished on May 5, 2021.
The Creamy Stovetop Mac and Cheese post first appeared on Recetas Latinas.