Tender Greek-flavored chicken is grilled on a skewer with crisp fresh vegetables. Mediterranean marinade seasons these Greek chicken skewers to perfection, transporting your taste buds to the streets of Greece.
It’s all about the marinade! Greek-style chicken skewers get the intense flavor of the delicious marinade. I am a big believer in marinating my meat before putting it on the grill. Try these fan-favorite marinades for Asian-inspired steak, chicken, and meat.
greek chicken skewers recipe
I love making skewers for the grill because not only are they so delicious, they are also so easy to make. Plus, everyone can put whatever they want on them, so they work for even the pickiest of eaters! The marinade for these Greek Chicken Skewers perfectly tenderizes and seasons the chicken for maximum flavor! Greek Chicken Skewers really come together when you add the vegetables and grill them to perfection!
I love a good kebab because it makes dinner time so easy. Having all the ingredients for dinner on one skewer makes the eating part fun too! My kids get really excited when I make these beef skewers, but my husband loves my shrimp skewers. But do not worry! If you are a vegetarian, my vegetarian skewers are perfect for you! In fact, I love grilling vegetables for just about any side dish.
Ingredients Needed for Greek Style Chicken Skewers
Greek Chicken Skewers are the best because all the ingredients are grilled together on the skewer. So what you see is what you get! Exact ingredient measurements can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- Olive oil: Olive oil adds moisture to the chicken and is a great base for the marinade.
- Red wine vinegar: This adds a spicy flavor.
- Dried oregano: This classic seasoning is essential in Greek-inspired food.
- Garlic: Fresh minced garlic is always a must, but you can use minced garlic from a jar if that’s what you have on hand!
- Salt: The salt helps bring out the flavors and seasonings of the chicken.
- Black pepper: Pepper is a great seasoning for the marinade.
- Lemon: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds brightness to all the flavors.
- Boneless skinless chicken breast: Cut the chicken into small pieces so it cooks evenly.
- Chili pepper: Red bell pepper is great for grilling!
- Zucchini: I love zucchini on these skewers! It’s tender, delicious, and adds beautiful color.
- Red onion: The onion complements all the flavors very well.
- Skewers: I like to use metal skewers, but you can use wooden skewers. Soak the wooden skewers for 20 minutes to prevent them from burning.
- Tzatziki Sauce Recipe: My Tzatziki Sauce is perfect with these Greek Chicken Skewers! Buying in the store also works very well.
- Pita bread: The sliced pita bread on the side is optional, but my kids love it!
Let’s make skewers!
Preparing the ingredients ahead of time for these Greek Chicken Skewers makes assembly a breeze. I like to marinate the chicken first thing in the morning and then quickly chop the vegetables just before skewering. It’s a quick and easy dinner!
- Make the marinade: In a medium bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and juice of one lemon.
- Marinate the chicken: Add the chicken cubes to the bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat: Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Chicken and vegetable skewer: Arrange chicken, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions on skewers.
- Grilled skewers: Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Serve: Serve with pita bread on the side and tzatziki sauce for dipping.
What to Serve with Greek Chicken Skewers
I love the combination of protein and vegetables in this meal! However, if you’re looking to serve these skewers with other delicious side dishes, here are some ideas.
- Cereals: Orzo pasta or lemon rice are my go-to cereals with the Greek Chicken Kabobs.
- Fruit: Complete this entire meal by adding a fruit side dish because… YUM!
- Salad: Keep the theme and serve a Greek salad with your skewers! When I like to keep food gluten-free, I simply remove the chicken pieces and vegetables from the skewers and place them directly on top of the salad.
- Hummus: Serve hummus on the side like the Greeks do because it’s a delicious sauce that’s rich in texture and flavor.
Conservation of leftovers
My favorite way to store leftovers is to remove the grilled chicken and vegetables from the skewers and place them in the fridge. It facilitates the heating of the skewers and the lunches the day after, even cheaper!
- In the fridge: Store cooked skewers in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
- To reheat: Remove chicken and vegetables from skewers and microwave for about 2 minutes on full power or until hot.
Greek Inspired Recipes to Try
If you like Mediterranean flavors, these recipes are a must! Definitely put them on your menu because I know you’re going to love them!
In a medium bowl, add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and juice of one lemon.
Add the chicken cubes to the bowl and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Arrange chicken, zucchini, bell peppers, and onions on skewers.
Grill on each side for 3-4 minutes or until no longer pink.
Serve with pita bread on the side and tzatziki sauce for dipping.
Serving1 skewer Calories 191kcal (10%) Carbohydrates 6g (2%) Protein 17g (34%) Fat 11g (17%) Saturated Fat 2g (10%) Polyunsaturated Fat 1g Monounsaturated Fat 7g Trans Fat 0.01g Cholesterol 48mg (16%) Sodium 287mg 8mg (12%) Potassium 265% ) Sugar 3g (3 %) Vitamin A728IU (15%) Vitamin C43mg (52%) Calcium34mg (3%) Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value varies based on brands used, measurement methods, and serving sizes per family.
American, Greek cuisine