If you’re following a ketogenic diet or another low-carb diet, know how to make cauliflower rice It will be a total turning point. Learn how to make fresh cauliflower rice to use as a low-carb rice substitute, in stews, or even to serve as a tasty and healthy side dish.
Without a doubt, cauliflower is the superhero of many Keto and low carb recipes. From roasted cauliflower to fried cauliflower to making wonderful cauliflower salads and stews with it, cauliflower is the most popular of all low-carb vegetables in the world.
If you’re a rice lover like many people, you can save a lot of carbs by using cauliflower rice instead. Season with your favorite herbs and spices and you have a super satisfying side dish that will make you forget about regular rice.
While it’s easy and very affordable to buy frozen cauliflower rice, there’s nothing that beats the taste and texture of freshly made cauliflower rice. And it’s so easy to do!
Start with a head of cauliflower. Wash and remove stems and leaves.
Cut them into florets and place in small batches in the bowl of the food processor.
Advice: You don’t need to make small florets, but try to cut them into similar sized pieces to help the food processor pick them up evenly.
Blend until you have pieces that are about the size of regular rice.
Don’t over mix or they will be too thin.
If you don’t have a food processor, you can use a grater.
Advice: When using a box grater, we recommend starting with larger pieces. It just makes them easier to handle and keeps your fingers safe.
Does cauliflower rice taste like rice?
Both white grain rice and cauliflower rice have a very neutral flavor that absorbs seasonings very well. While there are some people who will tell you that cauliflower rice tastes exactly like rice, I can tell a subtle difference in its flavor.
Cauliflower rice has a hint of fresh vegetable flavor, so it’s important to not only know how to resonate, but also how to cook it.
How to cook cauliflower rice
There are so many great ways to cook cauliflower rice to give it amazing flavor. From bold and strong to delicate and creamy, there are options for delicious cauliflower recipes. Here are some popular ways that I love to cook and are always a big hit:
Risotto with Cauliflower Mushrooms
Cauliflower rice can easily be made into a super creamy and flavorful risotto substitute!
Brown sliced fresh mushrooms in a large skillet. Add minced garlic, deglaze pan, add chicken broth, cauliflower rice, mascarpone, Parmesan, cream and cook until thick and creamy. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve!
Coconut Cauliflower Rice
Turn regular cauliflower rice into the popular and very tasty coconut rice!
Saute cauliflower rice in coconut oil, then add coconut cream, spices, lime juice, and zest and cook until thick and fluffy. Garnish with grated coconut and chopped cilantro and serve.
Add a Mexican twist to your cauliflower rice with a mix of classic flavors!
Brown cauliflower rice in a large skillet with a mix of spices, tomatoes, jalapeños, garlic, onion, lime, and cilantro. Garnish with a squeeze of lime and chopped fresh cilantro and serve.
Is cauliflower rice healthy?
Cauliflower is super healthy and contains almost all the nutrients you need in a day, including various carotenoids such as beta-carotene, folic acid, vitamins C, E and K. It is a low-carb vegetable that is a healthy addition to any diet. .
How to cook frozen cauliflower rice
If you’re short on time and need to resort to cooking a bag of frozen cauliflower, there are several ways to do it:
- Preheat 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil in the skillet.
- Add frozen cauliflower rice straight from the bag.
- Cook cauliflower over medium heat, breaking up any frozen lumps.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes until just beginning to brown and tender.
- Add a pinch of salt or seasoning.
roasted in the oven
- Evenly coat a large baking sheet with light olive oil or cooking spray.
- Add cauliflower rice to skillet and drizzle with olive oil. Mix well.
- Cook to 425°F.
- After 10 minutes, take a spatula and cook the rice on the other side. Bake another 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- The easiest way to cook frozen cauliflower rice is to place the frozen bag in the microwave.
- Follow the cooking instructions on the package.
- Open the bag carefully to prevent the steam from burning you. Drain the water, pour into a bowl, season and serve.
How long does cauliflower last?
Raw Cauliflower Rice
After you have cauliflower risotto you should use it within 1-2 days or freeze it. Fresh, raw cauliflower rice when stored in the refrigerator can take on a strong, unpleasant sulfur odor. Therefore, it is best to resonate it just before cooking or freeze it for later use.
Cauliflower Cooked Rice
Cooking cauliflower rice actually prevents it from getting a weird smell. You can store cooked cauliflower rice for 3-4 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
How do you know if cauliflower has gone bad?
We all did it! We buy groceries with the intention of making a particular recipe, but something comes up and we don’t fix it. If this happened to you with a head of cauliflower, here are some signs you can watch for to see if it’s still okay or has gone bad.
- Smell- it smells good and see if it smells sour or has an unpleasant smell. If so, then it is a strong sign that it has gone wrong.
- Structure- cauliflower should feel firm to the touch. If you have soft or slimy stains, throw it away.
- mildew stains– Small moldy areas can be removed. But if the mold has spread throughout the cauliflower, it should be discarded.