The tender meat-like texture of this black bean burger is packed with amazing flavor. Black beans are mixed in a mix of vegetables, herbs, and panko breadcrumbs to create a fantastic meatless burger that will impress anyone.
Meat lovers and vegetarians alike will jump at the chance to enjoy the black bean burger! Add a few sides to this and then you have a meal to remember! I love corn on the cob, this delicious salad, and a refreshing lemonade!
What is a black bean burger?
Did you know that a black bean burger doesn’t just contain black beans? It’s a black bean cake! This healthy black bean burger is so insanely delicious you’ll even forget you’re eating a meatless veggie burger! It’s a great way to eat a little healthier and add a little extra protein to your meal. Besides it’s easy to make!
They’re all up for a classic burger or even a smash burger, but even if you love them, this burger will inspire you to eat healthier on a regular basis! Because it’s so easy to whip up, it’s a great alternative to have at any barbecue for all your non-meat-eating friends. It tastes so good with a little sauce added (In-n-Out Spread is my favorite!). So once all the ingredients are loaded, you’ll see why everyone loves it!
Ingredients for the Black Bean Burger
I love that black beans are already a staple in my pantry! I always have them, and this is a fantastic recipe for them to use! See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact measurements, and then you’re good to go!
- Black beans: Canned black beans are the base of this recipe.
- Olive oil: The oil helps sauté and soften the vegetables.
- Green pepper: This adds great texture to the black bean burger.
- White onion: Onion is a wonderful added flavor to this burger.
- Jalapenos: If you want to give your burger an added edge, don’t skip these!
- Cilantro: Fresh cilantro is my favorite herb to add to a black bean burger.
- Tomato paste: This helps bind all the ingredients together and keep their shape.
- Garlic powder: Garlic is a great flavor for this burger.
- Salt: I like to use salt to enhance the flavor of the burger.
- Cumin: I love using cumin to flavor and season black beans.
- Flour: A little flour will help hold the burger ingredients together.
- Panke Breadcrumbs: I prefer the crunchy texture of panko breadcrumbs to regular breadcrumbs.
Make black bean burgers
I love how easily these burgers come together in the food processor. I always make black bean burgers for a quick and tasty meal to feed my family! Because they are so delicious, I’m sure your family will require a LOT!
- Prepare the black beans: Place the drained black beans on a paper towel to dry.
- hot pan: Heat a medium skillet or grill over medium-high heat.
- Sauteed vegetables: Add the olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño to the skillet. Then cook for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Combine the ingredients: Place cooked vegetables in a food processor along with black beans, cilantro, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and cumin.
- Mixture: Blend food processor to mix and combine ingredients. Leave the mixture slightly thick.
- Combine the flour and panko: Pour it into a bowl and then add the flour and Panko breadcrumbs.
- Meatball shape: Pick up a ⅓ cup of mixture and then form a patty.
- Cook the meatballs: Cook the meatballs in a skillet or grill then cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. The meatballs will be crispy on the outside and warm in the center.
- To assemble: Serve hot on a burger bun with your favorite burger toppings. So you can serve them and watch everyone devour them!
Here are some topping ideas that would be delicious for this black bean burger recipe! I love having lots of ingredients for my guests to choose from. Making your own burgers is a great way to keep everyone happy!
- Leafy vegetables: Romaine lettuce, iceberg lettuce, spinach, arugula or even sprouts. My absolute favorite is the butter lettuce!
- Vegetables: Tomatoes, red onions, sautéed onions, pickles, diced bell peppers, diced cucumbers…the list goes on.
- Fruit: I had to highlight the fruit because the avocado is considered a fruit! Pineapple rings would be great too!
- Condiments and Sauces: I’m a gravy girl! Mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, barbecue sauce, teriyaki, hamburger sauce, whatever sounds good!
- Cheeses: Adding sliced cheese would be delicious on top of your burger! Cheddar, provolone, and pepper jack are our favorites.
- Make it more interesting: Try adding pickled jalapeños, chili flakes, or banana peppers to your burger. I love adding warmth!
Conservation of leftovers
These burgers are the best leftovers! I love them for dinner, but it’s also great to have leftovers on hand for lunches all week!
- In the fridge: Place the extra meatballs in an airtight container, then store in the refrigerator. They will last up to 5 days.
- In the freezer: Place black bean patties on parchment paper and place in a resealable plastic bag. Thaw in the refrigerator before cooking or cook from frozen. They will last in the freezer for up to 2 months.
- To reheat: Simply reheat the black bean burger in the microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Or, if you want to try it, my favorite way to reheat black bean burgers (or leftovers!) is in the air fryer! Simply place the cold or frozen burger patty in the air fryer at 375 degrees Fahrenheit and then cook for 3 minutes on each side or until lukewarm.
Healthier Burger Recipes
A burger doesn’t always have to be a beef burger. There are so many other amazing burger options that are healthier and SO delicious. Try these burger recipes, I promise you won’t miss the meat!
Place the drained black beans on a paper towel to dry.
Heat a medium skillet or grill over medium-high heat.
Add the olive oil, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeño to the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes to soften the vegetables.
Place cooked vegetables in a food processor along with black beans, cilantro, tomato paste, garlic powder, salt, and cumin.
Blend food processor to mix and combine ingredients. Leave the mixture slightly thick.
Pour it into a bowl and add the flour and Panko breadcrumbs.
Pick up a ⅓ a cup of mixture and form some meatballs.
Cook the meatballs in a skillet or on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side. The meatballs will be crispy on the outside and warm in the center.
Serve hot on a bun with your favorite burger toppings.
Serving1burgerCalories199kcal (10%) Carbohydrates32g (11%) Protein9g (18%) Fat4g (6%) Saturated Fat1g (5%) Polyunsaturated Fat1g Monounsaturated Fat3gSodium848mg (35%) Potassium566mg (16%) Fiber10g (40g) Sugar (6%) Vitamin C35mg (42%) Calcium 72mg (7%) Iron 3mg (17%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value varies based on brands used, measurement methods, and serving sizes per family.
Keyword 20 minutes, black bean burger, healthy, vegetarian