A soft and tasty sponge cake where courgettes are the protagonists.
Go to recipe ↓ S2C image
Zucchini is one of my favorite things about summer. I love it in a casserole, I love it stuffed, I love it in pasta, but above all I love it in this cake that is neither quiche nor cake. It’s a goat cheese quiche that looks a bit like a quiche, but celebrates zucchini much more than eggs or anything. It’s perfect for brunch, perfect for a light dinner, perfect for anytime!
The filling here has a soft texture, but a flaky pie crust is great to counter that. This has the potential to become soggy, after all, zucchini is a very water-rich vegetable, so be sure to squeeze as much liquid out of the zucchini as possible after grating. You also want to blind bake the pie crust here so it will hold up to that moisture. Just fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans or rice and pop it in the oven for twenty minutes.
The stuffing goes in and cooks at a lower temperature. It’s just a quick mix of grated zucchini, eggs, cream, goat cheese, and a few ingredients. It’s a simple yet definitely delicious concoction, accented with a bit of bright lemon zest. I love the combination of goat cheese and zucchini and this filling is no exception.
Preparation time 15m
Cooking time 1 hour and 10 minutes
5 classified 5 out of 5 Rated by 1 reviewers S2C Image
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Roll out pie crust and line a 9-inch pie pan, trimming off excess crust to 1/2-inch. Fold under the excess dough and fold or press down with the prongs of a fork.
- Prick the bottom of the dough with a fork, then line the dough with parchment paper and fill with weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the cake weights and baking paper and bake for another 5 minutes. Reserve while the filling is made.
- Reduce oven to 375°F.
- Cut off the ends of the zucchini, then chop them using a grater or food processor. Place the grated zucchini on a clean kitchen towel, then lift the edges and squeeze out as much of the liquid as possible. Set aside.
- In a large bowl add the eggs, cream, lemon zest, garlic powder, onion powder, dried thyme, salt and pepper. Mix to mix well. Gently combine the zucchini and goat cheese.
- Pour the filling into the crust, then cook until the filling thickens, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before cutting and serving. To a good time!
Your Review Your Overall Rating Select a rating5 Stars4 Stars3 Stars2 Stars1 Stars Rate this recipe SKM: placeholder below contentWhizzco for 12T Subscribe to 12 Tomatoes