This is a pantry breaker that delivers on flavor.
Go to recipe ↓ S2C image
The famous shipwreck stew is named for its casual appearance. Its pantry-busting combination of ingredients makes it a great dinner to cook up when you’re out of ideas or maybe need to run to the grocery store for supplies. Similarly, a version of this hearty meal can be found in our Shipwreck Mac and Cheese recipe. This is great for feeding a large crowd and is a real hit with the kids thanks to the cheese sauce. Adults love this comfort dinner too!
The base of this recipe is some browned ground beef and cooked onion and bell pepper. Combine them in a large skillet or pot along with the contents of a 14-ounce box of macaroni and cheese and a little milk. Some spices and some diced tomatoes add more flavor. I bought herbed tomatoes for a little more flavor.
To complement the vegetables, a bag of frozen mixed vegetables works well. This particular mix included corn, carrots, peas, green beans, and fava beans. However, you can use the ones you like best (or have in the freezer).
Cover with a lid and cook together before adding the cheese and fresh parsley. And then get ready for some major praise from the family in this hearty one-skillet dinner.
Shipwreck Mac & Cheese
Preparation time 15m
Cooking time 25m
4.5 Evaluated 4.5 out of 5 Rated by 2 reviewers
Allergens: Milk, Gluten, Wheat
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 chopped onion
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 pkg. (14 oz.) macaroni and cheese mix
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1 bag (16 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Brown the meat over medium heat, then remove from the pan. Clean the pan and add the onion and bell pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until soft.
- Return meat to skillet along with mac and cheese ingredients, diced tomatoes, milk, frozen vegetables, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper. Cover with lid and cook over medium-low heat for 13-17 minutes or until noodles are cooked through.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Let stand covered for 5 minutes for cheese to melt. Garnish with parsley just before serving.
Your Review Your Overall Rating Select a rating5 Stars4 Stars3 Stars2 Stars1 Stars Rate this recipe SKM: placeholder below contentWhizzco for 12T Subscribe to 12 Tomatoes