go to recipe
Ready in just 35 minutes from start to finish, this summery chicken and squash recipe is packed with yellow squash, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and juicy chicken. Prepared in a skillet with tons of good-for-you ingredients, it’s the perfect summer dinner!
This post is sponsored by Mazola® Corn Oil. All opinions expressed here are my own.
This Butternut Squash Chicken Skillet is a really simple and delicious way to consume a variety of seasonal summer vegetables.
Packed with summer squash, fresh corn, ripe tomatoes, juicy chicken breast, and my favorite Mexican-inspired spices, this recipe is perfect for weeknight dinners.
Tomatoes cook down to create a light and flavorful sauce, while a sprinkle of grated cheese creates a top layer of melty gooey goodness.
Each serving is high in protein, packed with good-for-you veggies and enough melted cheese to keep you coming back for more. Pure summer perfection!
Ingredients in a pan with chicken and pumpkin
- Roma tomatoes and garlic
- spices – chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika and salt.
- Yellow squash and zucchini – I have used both but you can use all the yellow squash or all the courgettes if you prefer.
- Chicken breast – Cut into small pieces to help cook it a little faster.
- Grated cheese – for that little extra that will keep you coming back for more.
- Mazola® Corn Oil – an all-purpose cooking oil that’s good for your heart* and great for frying.
- Corn – I used fresh corn kernels that I cut from 2 cobs, but you can use about 1 cup of frozen or canned corn kernels if you prefer.
How to make chicken and summer squash
This summer squash recipe comes in a skillet or pot! Here is how to do it:
- Sauté the onion and garlic: Cook the onions and garlic in a little Mazola® Corn Oil in a large skillet or pot for 3 minutes, until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Add the chicken: Add the chicken, chili powder, ground cumin, smoked paprika, and kosher salt. Cook for 6-8 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Add the vegetables: Add yellow squash, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes until squash is as tender as a fork.
- Melt the cheese: Remove the pan from the heat, top with the grated cheese, cover and let sit for a few minutes until the cheese has completely melted.
- Serve: Garnish with chopped cilantro and a dash of fresh lime juice.
This dish is great served on its own or with tortilla chips, but if you want to stretch it even further, here are some sides that would look great:
Pumpkin with Chicken and Pumpkin
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 minutes
Total: 35 minutes
Ready in just 35 minutes, this summery chicken and squash recipe is packed with yellow squash, zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and juicy chicken.
Heat Mazola® Corn Oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic. Fry for 3 minutes.
Add the chicken, chili powder, salt, cumin, and smoked paprika. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through.
Add yellow squash, zucchini, corn, and tomatoes. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the squash begins to soften.
Remove from heat, top with grated cheese, cover and let stand 3-5 minutes, until cheese is completely melted.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and lime wedges.
- Pumpkin: You can use the whole yellow squash or the whole zucchini if you prefer.
- Grated cheese: Cheddar, Monterey Jack, Colby Jack, or mozzarella all work.
- Corn: I used fresh corn that I cut into 2-cob slices, but you can use about 1 cup of frozen or canned corn if you prefer.
Serving Size: 1 serving Calories: 261kcal (13%) Carbohydrates: 11g (4%) Protein: 29g (58%) Fat: 12g (18%) Saturated Fat: 3g (15%) Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g Monounsaturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0.03g Cholesterol: 82mg (27%) Sodium: 807mg (34%) Potassium: 788mg (23%) Fiber: 2g (8%) Sugar: 5g (6%) Vitamin A : 1053 IU (21%) Vitamin C: 19 mg (23%) Calcium: 99 mg (10%) Iron: 2 mg (11%)
* Visit www.mazola.com for information on the relationship between corn oil and heart disease.
** Corn oil is a cholesterol-free food that contains 14 g of total fat per serving. See Nutrition Facts on product label or at Mazola.com for fat and saturated fat content.