This cheesy zucchini rice is gooey and a divine comfort food that is the best side dish to any meal. It is so tasty and delicious and the best part is that it contains a vegetable that my kids will actually eat!
If you’re wondering what to serve this with, then I’ve got you covered! Serve this delicious side dish with things like this Pork Chop, these delicious Garlic Ranch Chicken Skewers, or this Honey Butter Chicken. It goes with every meal!
Zucchini Rice with Cheese
I love zucchini season. Not only do the best recipes come from it, but I love the fact that I have a glut in my garden. And I particularly like being able to put it in different recipes for my kids to eat. We usually have rice on each side. So why not make it amazing by adding cheese and zucchini?
Since then we have made this recipe 3 times. I’m telling you, it’s one of the best sides we’ve ever had! They all gobbled it up and even asked for seconds! You have to put it on the list of must-see zucchini recipes. Everything about this is amazing. From loaded cheese on the inside to hidden zucchini everywhere, the flavor is out of this world! He ends up being the star of the table.
Ingredients Zucchini Rice with Cheese
This recipe is so simple and easy! In fact, you probably already have most of these ingredients at home to make this quick side dish. See the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact ingredient measurements.
- Chicken soup: I like the flavor of chicken broth, but you can substitute vegetable or beef broth. It will taste slightly different but still great!
- Rice: I use long grain white rice to accompany the zucchini!
- Butter: Butter adds richness to the dish.
- Grated zucchini: You will end up needing about 2 cups of grated zucchini. This equals about 2 medium zucchini.
- Spicy Cheddar Cheese: I like to use freshly grated cheese from the block. So you get the best flavor and texture.
- Salt and Black Pepper: These will bring out all the flavors in the recipe.
How to make rice with zucchini and cheese
You will be surprised how simple this recipe is! It’s a great way to add a vegetable to a side dish and make it hearty, flavorful, and filling at the same time!
- Cooked rice: In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Next, add the rice, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for about 20 minutes until the liquid has disappeared.
- Shake off: Remove from heat and add butter, zucchini and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Variations and substitutions
Here are a few tips to make this Zucchini and Cheesy Rice Casserole work perfectly for you and your family! I love that this side dish goes with just about any meal, so we made it a amount!
- Rice: You can use different types of rice, such as jasmine or even brown rice or tiny rice. Adjust the cooking times and adjust the broth according to the cooking times and proportions of the rice.
- Disguise: This is a great way to hide vegetables! If your kids are scared to see green, you can peel the zucchini before shredding. This will mix a little better.
- Additional components: If you want even more flavor, you can add spices to this recipe to your liking. I would start with some garlic, chili powder, paprika, basil, and maybe even oregano. The possibilities are endless!
- Cheese: I like cheddar cheese, but it’s totally personal preference. You can change the type of cheese for the one you prefer. Also in my opinion the parmesan is very good!
How to store leftovers
If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers of this zucchini cheesy rice, you’ll be happy to know that it’s super easy to store and tastes great the next day too!
- In the Fridge: Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days. Leftovers will hold a little more water as the zucchini soften and you cook them again.
Other delicious zucchini recipes
I know that once your garden is full of zucchini, that recipe to cook them all is not enough! Here are some of my favorite zucchini recipes that the whole family will love!
In a medium saucepan, add the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add the rice, cover and lower the heat and cook for about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
Remove from heat and add butter, zucchini and cheese. Stir and let stand for about 5 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
Calories237kcal (12%) Carbohydrates27g (9%) Protein8g (16%) Fat11g (17%) Saturated Fat7g (35%) Cholesterol30mg (10%) Sodium444mg (19%) Potassium287mg (8%) Fiber1g (4%) Sugar2g (2%) ) Vitamin A436IU (9%) Vitamin C17mg (21%) Calcium160mg (16%) Iron1mg (6%)
All nutritional information is based on third party calculations and is an estimate only. Each recipe and nutritional value varies based on brands used, measurement methods, and serving sizes per family.
Keyword zucchini rice with cheese, rice, rice recipe